When an undercover officer saw Monica Jones, a black transgender woman, walking down the street just a few blocks from her house, in an area that the officer described as being “known for prostitution,” that was enough to convince him that she intended to engage in prostitution. It was on that basis that he approached and stopped her.
In April of this year, Monica was convicted of violating this overbroad and vague law. Today she appeals that conviction, and the ACLU, along with other advocacy and civil rights organizations, filed a brief in support of her appeal.
We #StandWithMonica because transgender women of color should be able to walk down the street in their neighborhoods without being arrested, or worse, for simply being themselves.
When Walking Down the Street is a Crime. Chase Strangio, ACLU
Ways you can help:
This is a fund set up for the people who have been arrested while protesting in Ferguson. Please donate if you can and share widely. This is concrete action we can take to support the people of Ferguson. Also please call your local representative and let them know you do not agree with what’s happening. Here’s a script and a way to find the contact info for your local reps.
Please signal boost.
- Donate money to have those arrested in Ferguson released on bail. These people belong on the streets, especially at a time like this.
- Send a note of condolence to the family of Michael Brown. Let’s not forget the tragedy that started this.
- Donate to the Michael Brown Memorial Fund. This is an official fundraiser run by the Brown family’s lawyers. They are going through so much, lets make sure at the very least it isn’t a financial burden.
- Help get people on the ground. There are activists and reporters who want to do their part and get to Ferguson. Donate and get them there. I am so far aware of Zellie Imani, Zak Jemmott, and JR Valrey (a reporter for SF Bay View).
- Donate to the Ferguson Youth Initiative.The children of this community deserve better than to be gunned down. Make sure they get that in the future.
- Feed the children of Ferguson. Many children in America rely on school to get their meals and thanks to the civil unrest caused by the police, the children of Ferguson have been without school since Monday. These people want to make sure that doesn’t mean anyone is going hungry.
- Find a National Moment of Silence in your area. If one doesn’t exist, start one. Share this experience with others. Solidarity is important.
- Keep awareness up. Not just among the like-minded people on tumblr, this is something everyone needs to be aware of.
- Spread accurate information. There is a lot of distortion going on here and spreading every piece of information as it is reported only makes that worse. First and foremost make sure you are listening carefully, then share what is important and relevant.
If you are aware of any good causes or ways to help that I have missed, please reblog and add them.
i am broke as a motherfucker but ima send them a note and keep spreading awareness inshaAllah. BOOSTING THIS. important.
"as a straight male, i ppbppbpttt hhptpphhptpp hpbptpphptppthpbbphbh"
lmao 2 years ago not even the majority of marvel comics fans cared about the guardians of the galaxy and now I’m seeing reading lists popping up left and right and RYAN FUCKING SEACREST said “I am groot” on national radio but NO ONE WAS ASKING FOR A GOTG MOVIE BEFORE IT WAS ANNOUNCED
carol danvers has a rabid fanbase that has their own name and that creators are scared of when they show up at cons. you think iron man had something like the carol corps when they decided to give him a movie? YOU THINK ROCKET RACCOON OR GROOT HAD A FANBASE CLAMORING FOR THEM TO GET A MOVIE????
get the fuck outta here with this weak “no one knows female superheroes like they know marvel’s big three” like DUH marvel has spent 6 YEARS making sure everyone knows who captain america, iron man, and thor are by giving them their own movies. stop defending kevin feige’s weak slimy bullshit you soggy-assed milkbags
look at these things
they’re like tiny
but instead of breathing fire they squeak and cuddle
and they have funny ears and noses
I mean really
bats are amazing
This post is so fucking important to me